Oriskany in Oneida County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Preserving a Memorial Park
Oriskany Battlefield's grand centennial celebration in 1877 attracted nearly 70,000 visitors and renewed the call for a lasting monument to Herkimer's valor in the Summer of 1777. In 1880, the Oneida County Historical Society purchased nearly five acres, creating the first memorial park on site. Construction of the Herkimer monument began in 1883. By 1927, the 150th anniversary of the battle was again commemorated through elaborate pageantry wherein the property's deed was presented to Governor Alfred E. Smith, signifying its transfer to the State of New York to be held in public trust. By 1962, Oriskany Battlefield was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a National Historic Landmark.
Research efforts continue in order to better understand and appreciate the significance of this special place and the people who forged its history and to share that information with succeeding generations.
Some people visit Oriskany Battlefield to reflect on its hallowed ground or to enjoy its natural beauty and the serenity of this place. Others come to study the logistics of the battle. Still others come to honor the memories and sacrifices of those who fought in 1777.
Location. 43° 10.513′ N, 75° 22.023′ W. Marker is in Oriskany, New York, in Oneida County. Marker can be reached from Rome Oriskany Road (New York State Route 69) 0.4 miles east of Monument Road. Click for map. This historic marker is located in the eastern half of the Oriskany Battlefield State Historic Site park, next to several commemorative monuments, and can only be reached by walking. Marker is in this post office area: Oriskany NY 13424, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To The Unknown Patriotic Soldiers of Tryon County (a few steps from this marker); Campaign of 1777 (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); General Herkimer's Troops (within shouting distance of this marker); The military road and the ravine (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Ambush Started Here The Ambush (about 300 feet away but has been reported missing); The Military Road (about 400 feet away); The Ambush: August 6, 1777 (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Oriskany.
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 253 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.