Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The beacon on the Sandy Hook Lighthouse was extinguished on December 8, 1941, the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor. It remained dark until the end of World War II in 1945.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.701′ N, 74° 0.094′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Fort Hancock Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keeping the Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Sandy Hook Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Mortar Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire House Number 2 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lighting the Way (about 400 feet away); Fill’er Up! (about 400 feet away); Post Exchange (about 500 feet away); Chow Time! (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Fort Hancock Walking Tour.
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.