Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Young Menís Christian Association
YMCAs on military posts were places for rest and recreation and were built by private contributions. The Fort Hancock Y offered refreshments, game rooms, and a reading room. Visiting families could stay in rooms on the top floor. The one-story wing on the right side in photograph was an earlier wooden gymnasium torn down in 1941 when the new gym was built.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.671′ N, 74° 0.211′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and Hudson Road, on the left when traveling south on Kearney Road. Click for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Handball Court (within shouting distance of this marker); Lockíem Up! (within shouting distance of this marker); Sergeantsí Row Post Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); Fillíer Up! (within shouting distance of this marker); Chow Time! (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fire House Number 2 (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. A picture of the YMCA appears on the background of the marker. It has a caption of “Built in 1903, the YMCA is pictured here in 1939.”
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.