Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Like any small town, Fort Hancock had a jail. Military life was strict and a soldier could be punished for an offense as minor as being outside his barracks after lights-out. Military penalties could include loss of rank, heavy fines, assignment to a work detail, or imprisonment for a few days in one of the cells in the Post Guardhouse.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.695′ N, 74° 0.219′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and Lawson Lane, on the right when traveling north on Kearney Road. Click for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sergeants’ Row (a few steps from this marker); Post Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Headquarters (within shouting Young Men’s Christian Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Athletic Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Handball Court (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fill’er Up! (about 300 feet away); Bachelor Officers’ Quarters (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a picture of soldiers standing in front of the guardhouse. It has a caption of “Built in 1899, the guardhouse is pictured here in 1913.”
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 246 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.