Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

1812 Wesley Chapel

 
 
1812 Wesley Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 2008
1. 1812 Wesley Chapel Marker
Inscription. Savannah Methodism's first church building was erected on this corner of Lincoln and South Broad (now Oglethorpe) streets in 1812 by its first pastor, Rev. James Russell. Bishop Francis Asbury preached twice in Wesley Chapel on November 21, 1813. In 1819-1820 under the preaching of William Capers the membership grew rapidly, and in 1821 John Howard enlarged the building to care for 100 new members. By 1848 this "good, neat house, sixty by forty feet", became too small; at a new location its successor, Trinity, was built.

Among the early pastors of Wesley Chapel were James O. Andrew, George F. Pierce, Ignatius A. Few, and Thomas L. Wynn.
 
Erected 1977 by Savannah - Area Methodist Heritage Society , South Georgia Commission on Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 32° 4.566′ N, 81° 5.351′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of Oglethorpe Avenue and Lincoln Street, on the left when traveling east on Oglethorpe Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
1812 Wesley Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 9, 2008
2. 1812 Wesley Chapel Marker
walking distance of this marker. Conrad Aiken (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathanael Greene, Maj. Gen., Continental Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Police Officers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Barnard House (within shouting distance of this marker); Police Station Steps (within shouting distance of this marker); James Habersham (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Habersham (1751-1815) (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1820 (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Savannah.
 
Regarding 1812 Wesley Chapel. Currently the Building is used by a Law Firm
 
Also see . . .  Trinity Church History. As the congregation grew, a larger building became necessary and the Wesley Chapel congregation changed their name to “Trinity”. (Submitted on February 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
1812 Wesley Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 11, 2011
3. 1812 Wesley Chapel Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,875 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement