Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This building was Fort Hancock’s original gymnasium and in 1941 became the Post Exchange or PX. Soldiers could buy personal items here or go bowling at the four-lane alley located in the basement. The cost for a game in 1942 was 15 cents.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.704′ N, 74° 0.194′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of McNair Road and Lawson Lane, on the left when traveling north on McNair Road. Click for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sergeants’ Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Lock’em Up! (within shouting distance of this marker); Young Men’s Christian Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Athletic Field Post Headquarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Handball Court (about 300 feet away); Fill’er Up! (about 300 feet away); Sandy Hook Light (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photograph of the PX, which was built in 1909, as it appeared in 1938. A photograph taken in 1942 of the interior of the PX is found at the lower right of the marker.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.