Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fire House Number 1
Fort Hancockís first fire station was manned by enlisted soldiers who were the postís firefighters. The tower at the rear of the building was used for drying hoses. Today this is the National Park Service Sandy Hook fire fighting station.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 13.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.901′ N, 74° 0.315′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and South Bragg Road, on the left when traveling north on Kearney Road. Click for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mule Barn (a few steps from this marker); Rodman Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Baked Fresh Daily! (within shouting distance of Officers Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quartermaster Storehouse (about 400 feet away); Protecting American Coasts (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo from 1938 of the fire house, which was built in 1905.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 346 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.