Mt. Airy in Surry County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
90 MM Gun Tank M47 Patton
The tank was originally nicknamed Patton II, but the name was changed to Patton 47 a few weeks later. On 9 November 1950, the US Army changed the basis of its tank designation system from weight to the caliber of the vehicle's main gun. The M47, which would have been a medium tank previously, therefore became a 90mm gun tank.
An upgrade program for the M47 was started in the late 1960's and resulted in the M47M. M47M used the engine and fire control system from the 105mm gun tank M60A1. The engine, Continentalís AVDS-1790-2A supercharged diesel, had its exhaust vented through rear louvers like on the M60, replacing the M47's fender-mounted mufflers.
Location. 36° 30.98′ N, 80° 37.02′ W. Marker is in Mt. Airy, North Carolina, in Surry County. Marker is on West Lebanon Street (Business U.S. 52), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located in Veterans Memorial Park. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Airy NC 27030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Andy Griffith Show (approx. 1.4 miles away); Stonemanís Raid (approx. 1.4 miles away); Patrick County / North Carolina (approx. 4.1 miles away in Virginia); Siamese Twins (approx. 4.4 miles away); Stuart's Birthplace (approx. 4.7 miles away Laurel Hill (approx. 4.7 miles away in Virginia); Hardin Taliaferro (approx. 5.7 miles away); Patrick County Virginia / North Carolina (approx. 8 miles away in Virginia). Click for a list of all markers in Mt. Airy.
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 668 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.