Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Hancock Oﬃcers’ Club
This stately structure was officers’ quarters for the Sandy Hook Proving Ground until it moved to Aberdeen, Maryland, in 1919. It housed Fort Hancock officers until 1936, then it became the Officers’ Club and its red brick exterior was painted yellow to match the rest of the post buildings.
Sandy Hook Proving Ground operated from 1874 to 1919. Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 28.057′ N, 74° 0.2′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Canfield Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery Potter (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Master Mechanic’s Quarters (about 500 feet away); The World War II Years (about 600 feet away); Proving Ground Foreman’s House Locomotive Engineer’s House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barracks, School, Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chemical Laboratory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hasty Additions in Wartime (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a 1937 photo of the Officers’ Club, which opened in 1878. A photo on the right side of the marker shows a New Year’s celebration held in the Officers’ Club in 1944.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 488 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.