“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Penngrove in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)


Penngrove Marker image. Click for full size.
By Loren Wilson, August 20, 2007
1. Penngrove Marker
Inscription. This area which has also been known as Penn’s Grove and Penn Grove — uncertainty surrounds the exact origin of the name — was first settled in 1852. With the competition of the San Francisco and North Pacific Coast Railroad in 1870 a town developed where the railroad crossed Main Street, then the main Santa Rosa-Petaluma road. From here the railroad carried thousands of cobblestones, which were quarried nearby, to Petaluma where they were loaded onto barges and shipped to San Francisco. After 1900 Penngrove developed into the second largest egg and poultry producing area in the county.
Erected 1991 by Sam Brannan Chapter #1004 E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 17.704′ N, 122° 39.964′ W. Marker is in Penngrove, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached from Main Street near Old Redwood Highway, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Plaque is located in Penngrove Park, behind the fire station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10070 Main Street, Penngrove CA 94951, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vallejo’s Petaluma Adobe
Penngrove Marker image. Click for full size.
By Loren Wilson, August 20, 2007
2. Penngrove Marker
Stone monument behind Penngrove marker was location of the stolen plaque.
(approx. half a mile away); The Willow Creek Inn (approx. 2.4 miles away); Cotati Downtown Plaza (approx. 3.1 miles away); Wilmar Union Elementary School District And Wilson Elementary School (approx. 3.7 miles away); Washoe House (approx. 4 miles away); Sergeant Richard A. Penry (approx. 4.3 miles away); Bill Soberanes (approx. 4.3 miles away); Volpi's Grocery (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Additional comments.
1. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
Wayne Brooks was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was ddedicated. Base designed and constructed by Bob Campbell NGH #12. Plaque Wording by Loren A. Wilson.
    — Submitted April 18, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.

Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement