Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
John Muir School
James W. Plachek, Architect, 1915,
—Collins-Byrens & Gerson-Overstreet, 1976 & Baker/Vilar Architects, 1998 —
designated in 1983
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 51.461′ N, 122° 14.699′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from Claremont Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. This marker is located near the John Muir School Administrative Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2955 Claremont Avenue, Berkeley CA 94705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Claremont Court Gate and Street Markers (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Claremont Public Improvements (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Kelsey Ranch (approx. 0.3 miles away); Strand (Elmwood) Theater (approx. half a mile away); Berkeley Piano Club (approx. ¾ mile away); American Baptist Seminary of the West - Hobart Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Church of Christ, Scientist (approx. 0.8 miles away); Orchard Lane (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Berkeley.
Also see . . . John Muir School - Berkeley Public Schools. John Muir was constructed in 1916, with funds from the 1915 bond. The original architect as James Plachek. The first principal was Miss Lydia Atterbury. The original curriculum was based upon the Montessori method. (Submitted on April 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.