Read House & Gardens
Delaware Historical Society
Immediately after purchasing the house in 1846, second owner William Couper and his family added a formal garden that stretched back to Second Street. He and his family also purchased the lot to the north of the Read House. In the early 1900s third owners Philip and Lydia Laird laid brick sidewalks throughout the garden and erected brick walls to unify their property with the streetscape.
Location. 39° 39.572′ N, 75° 33.697′ W. Marker is in New Castle, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Strand. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Castle DE 19720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of George Read (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of Philip and Lydia Laird (within shouting distance of
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 97 times this year. Last updated on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.