Pacoima in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Griﬃth Ranch
Originally part of the San Fernando mission lands, this ranch was purchased by David Wark Griffith, revered pioneer of silent motion pictures in 1912, it provided the locale for many western thrillers, including "Custer's Last Stand", and was the inspiration for the immortal production, "Birth of a Nation." It was acquired by Fritz B. Burns in 1948, who has perpetuated the Griffith name in memory of the great film pioneer.
Erected 1959 by California State Park Commission, Mr. Fritz B. Burns; the History and Landmarks Association of the San Fernando and Antelope Valley Parlors, Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West; and the San Fernando Mission Parlor No. 280, Native Daughters of the Golden West,. (Marker Number 716.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 34° 17.401′ N, 118° 24.677′ W. Marker is in Pacoima, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of Foothill Boulevard and Vaughn Street, on the right when traveling west on Foothill Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sylmar CA 91342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within César Chávez Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Loop Fire (approx. 1.9 miles away); Casa de Lopez (approx. 1.9 miles away); Father Junipero Serra / Fray Junipero Serra (approx. 1.9 miles away); Mission Dam (approx. 2.7 miles away); The San Fernando Pioneer Memorial Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Mission San Fernando Rey de Espańa (approx. 3.1 miles away); San Fernando Mission (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 788 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.