“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Ponce De Leon in Walton County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Knox Hill Academy


Knox Hill Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 10, 2012
1. Knox Hill Academy Marker
Inscription. The Knox Hill Academy, a boarding school, was founded in 1848 by the Rev. John Newton (April 22, 1814 – Nov. 21, 1871), who was also the head master and a Presbyterian minister. It was first located near a spring northeast of the Morrison Place on Knox Hill. The original sponsors were the Campbells, McLeans, Gunns, Morrisons, Gillies, McCaskills, McPhersons, and McDonalds. It replaced the log Henry School House. The first building was a split log house built on the top of a hill and furnished with single desks and blackboards. Slates and chalk were used for writing. Eighty-four to 100 regular pupils attended. In January 1859 the academy was moved to a large, two-story frame building north of the original site. Class for older students was held on the second floor and the younger students on the first floor. This academy was highly acclaimed and provided education for students from West Florida, Southwest Georgia and Southern Alabama, from Pensacola to Tallahassee. It also included a laboratory for chemistry and physics. Reverend John Newton closed Knox Hill Academy in 1871 and moved to Mary Esther where he opened a school. Reverend Newton’s motto was: “You must learn and obey.”

A Florida Heritage Site
Erected 2008 by Walton County Board of Commissioners and the Florida
Knox Hill Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 10, 2012
2. Knox Hill Academy Marker
looking south along Knox Hill Road.
Department of State. (Marker Number F-623.)
Location. 30° 38.497′ N, 85° 57.461′ W. Marker is near Ponce De Leon, Florida, in Walton County. Marker is at the intersection of Knox Hill Road and Pulsey Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on Knox Hill Road. Click for map. Marker is located one half mile north of County Hwy 183, one mile west of State Hwy 81. Marker is in this post office area: Ponce de Leon FL 32455, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church And Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Eucheeanna Community (approx. 5.2 miles away); Walton County Confederate Monument (approx. 10.7 miles away); Florida's First Confederate Monument (approx. 10.7 miles away); The Chautauqua Hall of Brotherhood (approx. 10.8 miles away); Florida Education Association: The Beginning (approx. 10.8 miles away); Walton-DeFuniak Library (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement