“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Napa in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Soscol House - 1855

Soscol House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Loren Wilson
1. Soscol House Marker
Inscription. Built by Elijah True at the junction of the county road from Napa City and Old Ferry Road, now Soscol, which served the Soscol Ferry Crossing at Napa River west of here. The thriving transportation center developed here from the stagecoach and wagon traffic was called Suscol; taking that name from the Patwin Indian village site located on the banks of Suscol Creek east of this place at State Highway No. 29. Moved March 1978 to this site and refurbishing completed by H.&M. Carroll, December 1979.
Erected 1983 by Sam Brannan Chapter No. 1004, E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 14.405′ N, 122° 16.198′ W. Marker is in Napa, California, in Napa County. Marker can be reached from Devlin Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Plaque is located on the west wall of the wood frame building located at the intersection of Soscol Ferry and Devlin Roads. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Devlin Road, Napa CA 94558, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cutting's Wharf (approx. 2.3 miles away); Napa State Hospital (approx. 2.6
Soscol House image. Click for full size.
By Loren Wilson, February 9, 2008
2. Soscol House
miles away); Embarcadero de Napa (approx. 3.9 miles away); Napa: A River Landing Town (approx. 3.9 miles away); Banner Warehouse 1862 (approx. 3.9 miles away); Dave Cavagnaro Circus Plaza (approx. 3.9 miles away); Hatt Building 1893 (approx. 3.9 miles away); Hay Barn 1959 (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Napa.
Additional comments.
1. Soscol House - 1855
Note: The name SUSCOL, used during the Mexican Land Grant period of the 1830's was corrupted to SOSCOL when settlers arrived, hence the two spellings of the word. Each is used correctly below.

South of the City of Napa at the junction of the new stretch of State Highway No.29 and Soscol Road, on the north bank of Suscol Creek, stands the recently refurbished Soscol House, occupied by a Restaurant. It was moved from its original location at the northwest corner of Soscol Road and the Napa-Vallejo Highway (Old State Route #29) in 1978 to make way for the realigned highway to the southern crossing bridge across the Napa River. It was built in 1855 by Elijah True as an inn to accommodate travelers using the stages that traveled the Old Ferry Road, now Soscol Road, and used the Suscol Ferry across the Napa River. These travelers were journeying to such places as Sonoma, Petaluma, Benicia, Sacramento, Vallejo, and Napa. The inn was a two story "L " shaped wood structure with eleven bedrooms upstairs. The downstairs contained a bar, gambling room, and a dining room. Just to the south of Soscol House on the north bank of the creek bearing their name, was the site of the Patwin Indian Village, Suscol. The village was inhabited until the early 1830ís when epidemics of cholera and smallpox swept through much of California and resulted in the death of most if not all Suscol Patwins. A wharf was constructed by the Thompson brothers at the Suscol Ferry crossing in 1858 and the boats making the Napa River run scheduled their stops to make connections with the Suscol Ferry stage traffic. In July of 1865 train service was added from Napa to Suscol landing and by January of 1869, through service to Vallejo and Calistoga was added. This led to the demise of Soscol House as an inn, and by 1875 Elijah True ran the business as a “1iquor saloon." It remained a saloon into the early 1900's. In the 1940ís it was known as a “roadhouse," in the 1950ís it became a dining room, and in the late 1970ís it was an antique shop. Its day as a point in Napa County commerce has long since passed; however, history has recorded its importance to our early travelers and settlers.

Loren Wilson, NGH #10
    — Submitted April 17, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.

2. Additional Information Regarding the Marker Dedication
Harold "Andy" Anderson was Noble Grand Humbug when this plaque was dedicated. Plaque wording by Edward D. Hawkins.
    — Submitted April 17, 2012, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California.

Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 67 times this year. Last updated on , by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement