Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Arlington Post Oﬃce
In the first half of the 20th Century, Arlington County changed from a handful of separate neighborhoods to a cohesive community with its own identity and government. The establishment of a central post office was a major factor in this transformation. Built in 1937, the Arlington post office was the first federal building constructed in the county. Lobby murals depicting scenes about Arlington history were painted by Auriel Bessemer in 1939. In 2000, it was named in honor of Joseph L. Fisher, former U.S. Representative from Virginia’s 10th District. This building is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia
Erected by Arlington County, Virginina.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 38° 53.145′ N, 77° 5.734′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Boulevard (Virginia Route 237) and North Hudson Street, on the right when traveling east on Washington Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Arlington County War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Ball Family Burial Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Maury School (approx. half a mile away); Fort Cass (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Whipple (approx. 0.7 miles away); John C. McKinney Memorial Stables (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Woodbury (approx. 0.7 miles away); 12th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
1. Error in marker
The marker contains the following statement: "Built in 1937, the Arlington post office was the first federal building constructed in the county."
This statement is not correct. The first federal buildings constructed in Arlington probably were within the county's Civil War forts and in Freedman's Village. Federal buildings constructed in the county before 1937 still remain standing in Arlington National Cemetery (including the Cemetery's first administration building and a building adjacent to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier), in the Fort Myer Historic District (including a number of officers' residences and the former Post hospital) and in Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (the Abingdon Research Center building).
— Submitted March 2, 2014, by Bernard H. Berne of Arlington, Virginia.
Additional keywords. USPS
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.