Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Georgetown Firehouse

 
 
Georgetown Firehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 23, 2012
1. Georgetown Firehouse Marker
Inscription. This firehouse, completed in 1965, was built to replace one on the opposite side of Main Street which was inadequate to house modern equipment. Headquarters of the Georgetown Fire District, now in this building, were formerly on Church Street.
 
Erected 1967 by James W. Marshall Chapter 49, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 54.397′ N, 120° 50.336′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Lower Main Street (aka Wentworth Springs Road), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6281 Wentworth Springs Road, Georgetown CA 95634, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgetown Volunteer Firemen (here, next to this marker); Chief Jack Anderson (here, next to this marker); Georgetown (here, next to this marker); Miners Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown - Pride of the Sierra / Growlersburg / E Clampus Vitus (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Blues
Georgetown Firehouse image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 23, 2012
2. Georgetown Firehouse
The Firehouse is the brick building in the center of the photo with the bays to the right. Marker is off photo to the left.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Wells Fargo Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Georgetown Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Additional comments.
1. The Original Firehouse
Georgetown's modern fire department was organized in 1927, but the Fire Protection District wasn't formed until 1938 when this small building was built to house the district's sole fire engine. A new, bigger brick building with offices and extra bays was constructed thirty years later directly across the street and the old firehouse was converted for commercial use.
Source: Georgetown Walking Tour Brochure
    — Submitted April 28, 2012.

 
Categories. Government
 
The Original Firehouse image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
3. The Original Firehouse
The small building in the center of the photo was the original firehouse. It now serves as an auto repair shop.
Sign on Firehouse image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
4. Sign on Firehouse
Georgetown Fire Department
Georgetown Volunteer F.D
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement