“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belleville in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Primrose Lutheran Church

Primrose Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, April 17, 2012
1. Primrose Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription. In the mid-nineteenth century, many newly arrived Norwegian immigrants in southern Wisconsin depended upon the spiritual and practical guidance of itinerant Lutheran ministers to help successfully adapt to the new land. One of the most influential was evangelist Rev. Elling Eielsen, who organized a congregation of fifty people in Primrose in 1850. Five years later, the congregation built a log church in the community. Eielsen was a follower of Hans Nielsen Hauge, a lay preacher who started a spiritual revival in Norway emphasizing democratic attitudes and faithfulness to the scriptures. In 1854 a university-trained minister of the Norwegian state church, Pastor A.C. Preus, established a second church in Primrose called the Primrose Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church which emphasized traditional high-church principles and doctrine. The theological differences between the two congregations became the focus of the 1856 annual convention of Norwegian Lutheran churches held in Primrose and the heightened existing divisions within Norwegian-American Lutheranism. The Primrose congregation, however, reconciled in 1915, and the present Primrose Lutheran Church joins the 1881 bell tower of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church with the 1894 Hauge Church, moved to this location in 1941.
Primrose Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 1, 2012
2. Primrose Lutheran Church
1995 by Wisconsin State Historical Society. (Marker Number 329.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 52.966′ N, 89° 39.944′ W. Marker is in Belleville, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Ridge Drive and Primrose Center Road, on the right when traveling west on Ridge Drive. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8770 Ridge Drive, Belleville WI 53508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Herbert O. Kubly (approx. 4.8 miles away); New Glarus (approx. 5 miles away); Donald Park (approx. 5.6 miles away); Pioneer Scottish Settlement (approx. 6 miles away); Early Belleville / Library Park (approx. 6.9 miles away); Paoli (approx. 7.7 miles away); St. Raphael's Frenchtown Cemetery (approx. 8.3 miles away); Hauge Log Church - 1852 (approx. 8.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Belleville.
Also see . . .  Primrose Lutheran Church. (Submitted on May 6, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement