Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Original Presbyterian Meeting House

 
 
Original Presbyterian Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 17, 2008
1. Original Presbyterian Meeting House Marker
Inscription. This wall is an adaptation of what is believed to be, after through archaeological research sponsored by Historic Savannah Foundation, the original Presbyterian Meeting House, now the Independent Presbyterian Church, housed on the land granted by King George II. These stones have been reassembled in approximation of the original facade of the church constructed in 1759, damaged by the British during the Revolution, and later restored. The stone is believed to have been quarried, cut and carved in England from White English Marble. This wall contains what is thought to be the remains of one of the oldest structures in the state of Georgia.
Reconstructed
1980
By The Independent Presbyterian Church

 
Location. 32° 4.573′ N, 81° 5.611′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Hull Street near Bull Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. At Chippewa Square, located on Bull Street between Hull and Perry Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Baptist Church (within
Original Presbyterian Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 2008
2. Original Presbyterian Meeting House Marker
shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Wm. A. Caruthers (1802-46) (within shouting distance of this marker); Independent Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lowell Mason 1792- 1872 (within shouting distance of this marker); James Edward Oglethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); Original 1733 Burial Plot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Independent Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Savannah.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Rebuilt wall image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 2008
3. Rebuilt wall
Rebuilt wall image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 2008
4. Rebuilt wall
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,072 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement