Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Charles Carroll House

 
 
The Charles Carroll House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 12, 2012
1. The Charles Carroll House Marker
Inscription. Birthplace of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (September 19, 1737 – November 14, 1832), the only Roman Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and the last of the signers to die.

Charles Carroll of Annapolis (1702 – 1782), father of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, built the original portion of this house during the 1720s near the home of his own father, Charles Carroll the Settler (1660 – 1720). Charles Carroll of Carrollton lived here with his parents until 1743 when he departed for studies abroad. He returned here in 1765 and married his cousin, Mary Darnall (1749 – 1782) here on June 5, 1768. Charles and “Molly” Carroll used this house as their principal urban residence, and several of their seven children were born – and died – here. During the early 1770s Carroll enlarged the original structure and improved the grounds and gardens. In 1773 he launched his political career within these walls by composing his “First Citizen” letters that supported the rights of the people of Maryland against Lord Baltimore’s authority. The Carrolls entertained many important guests here, including George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette. Outdoor festivities were held here in April 1783 to celebrate the end of the War for Independence. Carroll continued to live here
The Charles Carroll House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 12, 2012
2. The Charles Carroll House and Marker
while serving in the Maryland Senate (1777 – 1800) and the United States Senate (1789 – 1792). In 1821 Carroll rented out his mansion and thereafter divided his time between his daughter’s home in Baltimore and his plantation, Doughoregan Manor, in what is now Howard County.

In 1852 Carroll’s four Caton granddaughters conveyed the house and surrounding land to the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptorisits) on the condition that the property “be always consecrated to religion.” The Redemptorists added the west wing to the house in 1856 to provide additional space for their Novitiate.
 
Erected 1987.
 
Location. 38° 58.468′ N, 76° 29.28′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker can be reached from Duke of Gloucester Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. The marker and the Carroll House are located behind St. Mary's Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Duke of Gloucester Street, Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Annapolis (approx.
The Charles Carroll House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 12, 2012
3. The Charles Carroll House
0.2 miles away); This tablet (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Annapolis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leonard A. Blackshear Walk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alfred A. Hopkins Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); Watermen and Working Harbor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gateway to Discovery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Annapolis.
 
Also see . . .
1. Charles Carroll of Carrollton – The Signer. Biography of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (Submitted on May 12, 2012.) 

2. Charles Carroll of Annapolis. (Submitted on May 12, 2012.)
3. Charles Carroll the Settler. (Submitted on May 12, 2012.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Charles Carroll of Carrollton image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, September 5, 2015
4. Charles Carroll of Carrollton
This c. 1847 portrait of Charles Carroll of Carrollton by Michael Laty (after Robert Field) hangs in the Maryland Historical Society Museum in Baltimore, Maryland.

“Charles Carroll of Carrollton was born in Annapolis to Charles Carroll of Annapolis (1702-1782) and his wife, Elizabeth Brooke (1709-1761). After studying civil law at the College of St. Louis Le Grand, Rheims, France, and common law at The Temple, London, he returned to Maryland in 1765. One of the earliest advocates for independence, the wealthy and influential Carroll served as a delegate to the Continental Congress and the Confederation Congress. He was the only Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and the last surviving signer, dying at 95 years of age...” — Maryland Historical Society
The Charles Carroll House Sign image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 12, 2012
5. The Charles Carroll House Sign
The Charles Carroll House image. Click for full size.
By E. H. Pickering, circa June 1936
6. The Charles Carroll House
Historic American Building Survery - Library of Congress
HABS MD,2-ANNA,24--3
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 466 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   6. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement