Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Original Gas Street Light
This is one of the original gas street lights of the town of West End.
Presented to the West End Business Men’s Association by the family of Jesse M. Manry and placed on the grounds of the Wren’s Nest for perpetual care
Erected 1964 by Family of Jesse M. Manry.
Location. 33° 44.283′ N, 84° 25.333′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard, SW (Georgia Route 139) 0 miles east of Lawton Street SW, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The marker stands in the front yard of the Wren's Nest, the home of Joel Chandler Harris. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1050 Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard, SW, Atlanta GA 30310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Wren’s Nest (a few steps from this marker); The Exterior Line (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C. (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (approx. 1.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Site of Ezra Church Battle Hill (approx. 1.3 miles away but has been reported missing); The Federal Salient (approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing); a different marker also named Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
Regarding Original Gas Street Light. West End became part of the City of Atlanta on January 1, 1894. The West End Businessmen's Association was formed in 1927.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.