Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Jackson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. John's Church

 
 
St. John's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dave Wilcox, May 5, 2012
1. St. John's Church Marker
Inscription. Constructed in 1857, St. John's is the oldest Catholic Church in Jackson and was the only church of this denomination in this city until 1901. Bishop Peter Paul Lefevre laid the cornerstone for this structure in 1856. St. John's began as a mission in 1836 and officially became a parish twenty years later. At that time Father Charles Moutard, the first resident pastor, led the congregation, then predominately Irish in origin. The potato famine of 1845 in Ireland forced thousands of Irish to the United States. Many of these immigrants settled in mining towns such as Jackson. During the early 1870s this edifice was enlarged, a school was added, and nuns first came here as teachers and workers. This church now includes people of many ethnic backgrounds. St. John's continues to serve the City of Jackson.
 
Erected 1979 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0587.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 15.263′ N, 84° 24.221′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Michigan, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Francis Street and East Ganson Street, on the left when traveling south on North Francis
St. John's Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dave Wilcox, May 5, 2012
2. St. John's Church and Marker
Street. Click for map. The name of Francis Street was Cooper Street prior to 2010. Marker is at or near this postal address: 717 N Francis St, Jackson MI 49201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First State Prison (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jacksonburg Public Square (approx. half a mile away); First Congregational Church (approx. half a mile away); Horace Ismon / Ismon Building (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Mary Star of the Sea Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. John's Church image. Click for full size.
By Dave Wilcox, May 5, 2012
3. St. John's Church
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement