Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Washington Navy Yard in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Leutze Park - Marine Corps Historical Center

 
 
Leutze Park / Marine Corps Historical Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2008
1. Leutze Park / Marine Corps Historical Center Marker
Admiral Marc Mitscher's first name is misspelled "Mark" in the text of this marker.
Inscription. Leutze Park
This park is named for Rear Admiral Eugene H. Leutze, who was Commandant of the Yard from 1905 to 1910. The park is used as a parade ground and for formal affairs as the Ceremonial Quarterdeck of the Navy. Surrounding the park is a collection of historical bronze ordnance, captured as trophies of combat of United States forces. These cannons, made in Spain, France, Italy, and the United States date from the mid-seventeenth century to mid-nineteenth century. At the northwest corner of the park is located the bell from the USS Mitscher, a frigate converted to a guided missile destroyer, which was named in honor of Vice Admiral Mark Mitscher, the renowned carrier striking force Commander of World War II. Nearby are two plaques, one with a history of the Washington Navy Yard, another with a list of its commandants. At the southern end of the park stands the giant anchor from the carrier Enterprise, which saw action in the South Pacific during World War II.

Marine Corps Historical Center
This three-story brick structure was built in the mid-nineteenth century. The Old Stores building, which was burned on 24 August 1814 to prevent its capture by the British, formerly occupied the site. The new building housed the Public Works offices in the 1920's and 1930's. In 1941 it was remodeled to serve
Leutze Park / Marine Corps Historical Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2008
2. Leutze Park / Marine Corps Historical Center Marker
as a barracks for the Marine Guard in the Yard. The building was opened to the public after complete renovation as the Marine Corps Historical Center in 1977. The Center maintains the archival, research, library, and museum facilities of the United States Marine Corps. The Marine Corps Museum, on the first floor, presents the history of the Marine Corps through its collection of historical objects and art works.
 
Erected by Washington Navy Yard.
 
Location. 38° 52.493′ N, 76° 59.654′ W. Marker is in Washington Navy Yard, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Kidder Breese Street / N Street SE and Warrington Avenue SE, on the right when traveling west on Kidder Breese Street / N Street SE. Click for map. Marker is inside the Washington Navy Yard, at the southeast corner of Leutze Park. Marker is in this post office area: Washington Navy Yard DC 20374, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dudley Knox Center for Naval History (within shouting distance of this marker); The Center for Naval History - The Navy Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Naval Historical Foundation (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Officer's House
Anchor from USS Enterpise (CV-6), Leutze Park, Washington Navy Yard image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller
3. Anchor from USS Enterpise (CV-6), Leutze Park, Washington Navy Yard
"The one ship that most nearly symbolizes the history of the United States Navy in World War II," James V. Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Navy Department Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Optical Tower - Second Officers House (within shouting distance of this marker); Leutze Park Gun Collection (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Washington Navy Yard (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington Navy Yard.
 
More about this marker. Below the text for Leutze Park is a photo of the park from about 1900. On the lower right is a photo of the Marine Corps Historical Center.
 
Also see . . .
1. National Museum of the Marine Corps. (Submitted on January 29, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. USS Enterprise CV-6. (Submitted on January 29, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. RAdm Eugene Henry Cozzens Leutze, USN. (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Marine Corps Historical Center
Note that the Marine Corps Museum relocated to new facilities in Quantico, Virginia in November,
Bell from USS Mitsher (DDG-35), Washington Navy Yard image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller
4. Bell from USS Mitsher (DDG-35), Washington Navy Yard
A tribute to Admiral Marc A. Mitscher, the ship's namesake and the commander of Task Force 58, the Navy's fast carrier strike force that achieved victory at sea during WWII.
2006 along with the other components of the Marine Corps Historical Center. The center's former home on the Washington Navy Yard is presently vacant.
    — Submitted August 12, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.

 
Additional keywords. German Americans
 
Categories. MilitaryNotable PersonsWar, World IIWaterways & Vessels
 
Dahlgren Avenue (8th Street, SE extended) in Leutze Park image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller
5. Dahlgren Avenue (8th Street, SE extended) in Leutze Park
Part of the Yard's renowned collection of rare 18th and 19th century bronze ordnance.
Marc Andrew Mitscher, Admiral United States Navy, 1887-1947 image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2008
6. Marc Andrew Mitscher, Admiral United States Navy, 1887-1947
As commanding officer USS Hornet (CV-8), the "Shangri-La" of the Tokyo Raid, and as commander Task Force 58, the invincible fast carrier striking power of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, he carried the fight to the Imperial Japanese Empire from first to last. Beloved by every Naval aviator, he will always be remembered by "Turn on the lights" after nightfall in the Battle of the Philippine Sea, June 1944

USS Mitscher (DDG 35) Commissioned 1953
Sponsored by Admiral Mitscher's Widow
Served in the Atlantic Feet until decommissioned in 1978
After 25 years of active duty.

Dedicated 1984
Admiral James D. Watkins
United States Navy
Chief of Naval Operations
Marine Corps Historical Center and Dudley Knox Center for Naval History image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 21, 2008
7. Marine Corps Historical Center and Dudley Knox Center for Naval History
Looking across Leutze Park over the saluting cannons. The old Marine Corps Historical Center is the white building to the left. In the center, at the south end of the park is the Dudley Knox Center for Naval History. As mentioned in the comment here, the Marine Corps Historical Center has relocated since the marker was posted.
Leutze Park - looking north from Kidder Breeze Street past the USS Enterprise (CV-6) anchor memorial image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, January 29, 2012
8. Leutze Park - looking north from Kidder Breeze Street past the USS Enterprise (CV-6) anchor memorial
RADM Eugene Henry Cozzens Leutze image. Click for full size.
By U.S. Navy
9. RADM Eugene Henry Cozzens Leutze
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,212 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   5. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   6, 7. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   8. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.   9. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page was last revised on September 9, 2016.
Paid Advertisement