Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
200th Anniversary of Albany Charter
Two Hundredth Anniversary
As a chartered city
Settled about 1624:
Charter Granted by Gov. Dongan:
July 22 1606:
State Legislature Held Here Permanently Since 1797:
Early Names Of The City:
Fort Orange: Beverwyck: Wilemstadt:
First Mayor 1686: Pieter Schuyler:
Centennial " " 1786: Johannes Jacobse Beekman:
Bi-Centennial " " 1886: John Boyd Thacher:
John Boyd Thacher, Mayor And Chairman. A. Bleeker Banks, Ex Mayor And Vice Chairman.
Robert Lenox Banks • Anthony N. Brady • Walter Dickson • Franklin M. Danaher • Archibald McClure • Townsend Lansing • Lewis Boss • Douw H. Fonda • Charles E. Jones • Rufus H. King • James H. Manning • Edward J. Meegan • Michael N. Nolan • John C. Nott • Amasa J. Parker Jr • Robert D. Williams • Samuel B. Towner • John L. Van Valkenburgh • Wm. Bayard VanRensselaer • Simon W. Rosendale • Wm. M. Whitney • Daniel W. Wemple • John H. Quinby • Robert C. Pruyn • Horace G. Young
Erected by City of Albany.
Location. 42° 39.105′ N, 73° 45.295′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Eagle Street and Corning Place, on the left when traveling south on Eagle Street. Click for map. The marker is located at Albany City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 Eagle Street, Albany NY 12207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Hall Carillon (here, next to this marker); The Kings Highway (a few steps from this marker); 1624-1924 (a few steps from this marker); Kilian Van Rensselaer (within shouting distance of this marker); Schuyler Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Frederick (within shouting distance of this marker); Academy Park (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Frederick (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Albany.
More about this marker. The Marker is mounted on the facade of City Hall at the base of the bell tower. In 1927 a carillon of 47 notes (actually 60 bells with double bells on the top notes) was installed in the Albany City Hall tower. This was the first municipal carillon in the USA and the first built with funds by public subscription. The total cost was $63,000 and the carillon was installed by John Taylor and Co., of England.
Additional keywords. Albany Charter 1686 1886 Bicentenial
Categories. • Notable Events •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 3,591 times since then and 118 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 4, 2016.