Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Enoch Pratt Free Library
The original building fronted on Mulberry Street. Designed by the Baltimore architect Charles Carson, it opened in 1886. By the late 1820's, the patrons and volumes had outgrown the building. The present structure, completed in 1933, represented a major departure from the tradition of building libraries with monumental entrances atop long, intimidating flights of stairs. The building was designed by Clyde and Nelson Fritz with consulting architects E.L. Tilton and A.M. Githens under the supervision of the Library Director Joseph Wheeler. Wheeler envisioned the library as a publicly owned "department store business" in which taxpayers invested money and from which they expected a return. To make the library approachable and inviting, the building was designed with a street-level entrance and twelve display windows with exhibits the passing public can see at a glance.
The design of the Pratt has been borrowed extensively in this country and abroad.
Erected by the City of Baltimore, William Donald Schaefer, mayor, rededicated 2008, Shiela Dixon, mayor.
Marker series. Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 17.667′ N, 76° 37.02′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of Cathedral Street and West Mulberry Street (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling south on Cathedral Street. Click for map. The marker is just to the left of the main entrance to the library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Cathedral Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (within shouting distance of this marker); Expanding the American Intellect: Icons and Iconoclasts (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. B. Latrobe House (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Bicentennial Marker (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Unitarian Church (about 400 feet away); The First Unitarian Church of Baltimore (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named The First Unitarian Church of Baltimore (about 500 feet away); Rectory of Old St. Paulís Parish (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
More about this marker. A photograph on the marker displays the, "Original building by Charles
In 2008, this marker replaced one with almost identical text.
Categories. • 20th Century • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,720 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.