“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Medford in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)

The Peter Tufts (Cradock) House

The Peter Tufts (Cradock) House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Matt Gilbertson, May 23, 2012
1. The Peter Tufts (Cradock) House Marker
Inscription. Known for many years as the Cradock House because it was thought to have been built in 1634 for Matthew Cradock, the construction of the house is now attributed to Peter Tufts. Although the exact date of its origin is obscure, it is known to pre-date 1677. Many historians consider it to be the oldest all-brick house in America. It has been called the “Fort” and the “Garrison House” because of its thick walls and portholes. In the late 1880ís General Samuel Lawrence saved the “Old Garrison” from destruction when he purchased it as a wedding gift for his niece and had the interior remodeled. In 1892 a likeness of the Tufts House was placed upon the city seal of the newly-incorporated City of Medford. The Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities acquired and managed the house for the next fifty years. With encouragement from Joseph V. Valeriani and aid from the people of Medford and the Tufts family, the Medford Historical Society purchased the building in 1980. The Society and the City of Medford now maintain this historical landmark. The Tufts House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1989 by Medford Historical Society.
Location. 42° 24.686′ N, 71° 
Peter Tufts House image. Click for full size.
By Matt Gilbertson, May 23, 2012
2. Peter Tufts House
Looking north across Riverside Ave
5.607′ W. Marker is in Medford, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverside Ave and Rockwell Ave, on the right when traveling west on Riverside Ave. Click for map. Marker is on the front lawn of the house to the right of the entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 Riverside Ave, Medford MA 02155, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Royall House (approx. 0.9 miles away); “Jingle Bells” Composed Here (approx. one mile away); Captain Isaac Hall Hitching Post (approx. one mile away); Harris Delta (approx. 1.2 miles away); Malden Spanish War Veterans Monument (approx. 1.2 miles away); “Grandfatherís House” (approx. 1.3 miles away); Powder House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Molyneaux Circle (approx. 2.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Medford.
Also see . . .  The Peter Tufts House - Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 25, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Matt Gilbertson of Medford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 418 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Matt Gilbertson of Medford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement