Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Confederate Army Command Changed

>>>----- >

 
 
Confederate Army Command Changed Marker Post image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 12, 2012
1. Confederate Army Command Changed Marker Post
Inscription. Near here the command and tactics of the Confederate Army were changed July 18th 1864.

Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman (US) had been trying for months to force Gen. Joseph E. Johnston (CS) to abandon delaying tactics and face overwhelming odds in open battle. Gen. John Bell Hood took command of the Confederate Army on the above date and daringly went out to meet the Union forces. Atlanta fell after bitter fighting. There are 55 original Confederate cannon balls in the adjacent U.D.C. marker.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 47.017′ N, 84° 25.086′ W. Marker was in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker was on West Marietta Street 0.1 miles west of Joseph E. Lowry Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. The marker stood in front of the Mead Paper Company plant. Marker was at or near this postal address: 950 West Marietta Street, Atlanta GA 30318, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Headquarters of General Joseph E. Johnston
Confederate Army Command Changed Marker Post image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 12, 2012
2. Confederate Army Command Changed Marker Post
The Mead Paper Company plant is to the left.
(here, next to this marker); Gen. Stewart’s H'dq'rs. (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Surrender of Atlanta (approx. 0.8 miles away); Loring’s Hill (approx. one mile away); Site of Captain Overton W. Barret’s battery of Missouri. (approx. one mile away); Gen. Cleburne's H’dq’rs. (approx. 1.1 miles away but has been reported missing); Davis' Hill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Outer Defense Line (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
 
More about this marker. The marker disappeared sometime between 2004 and 2010. The text for the missing marker was taken from old photographs.
 
Regarding Confederate Army Command Changed. Many historians believe that President Jefferson Davis' removal of Gen. Johnston and promoting Gen. Hood to the command was one of the significant mistakes of the campaign in Georgia, if not of the entire war.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Confederate Army Command Changed Marker Post image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 12, 2012
3. Confederate Army Command Changed Marker Post
West Marietta Street is in the background.
Confederate Army Command Changed Marker Post image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 12, 2012
4. Confederate Army Command Changed Marker Post
The United Daughters of the Confederacy monument, with (originally) 55 Confederate cannon balls, is in the background. That monument was erected in 1936.
U.D.C. Monument image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 12, 2012
5. U.D.C. Monument
The U.D.C. Monument adjoining the marker site.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement