Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Headquarters of General Joseph E. Johnston
(On Separate Plaques:)
Restored by Atlanta Paper Co. 1955
Restored by Mead Containerboard 1996
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration and the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 33° 47.017′ N, 84° 25.086′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on West Marietta Street 0.1 miles west of Joseph E. Lowry Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. The marker stands in front of the Mead Paper Company plant. Marker is at or near this postal address: 950 West Marietta Street, Atlanta GA 30318, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Army Command Changed (here, next to this marker but has been reported missing); Gen. Stewart’s H'dq'rs. (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Surrender of Atlanta (approx. 0.8 miles Loring’s Hill (approx. one mile away); Site of Captain Overton W. Barret’s battery of Missouri. (approx. one mile away); Gen. Cleburne's H’dq’rs. (approx. 1.1 miles away but has been reported missing); Davis' Hill (approx. 1.2 miles away); Outer Defense Line (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.