Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Galveston Historical Foundation
After several inactive years, the Society was resurrected in 1942 under its old name and turned to preserving historic landmarks, publishing a booklet in 1951 of the island's significant homes. In 1954, one of those homes, the 1830s Williams-Tucker House, was threatened. The Society, unable by its charter to acquire property, formed a new group, the Galveston Historical Foundation, which purchased the home and restored it. In 1958, the two groups merged as the Galveston Historical Foundation. Over the next 50 years, the group saved buildings and helped establish historic districts, including The Strand, one of the
After celebrating its 130th year in 2001, the nationally acclaimed foundation continues its leadership role in revitalization, museum operation, education, property management and preservation advocacy.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13717.)
Location. 29° 18.324′ N, 94° 47.391′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Post Office Street and 20th Street, on the right when traveling east on Post Office Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 20th Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1894 Grand Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); American National Insurance Company (about 500 feet away); St. Mary's Cathedral (about 600 feet away but has been reported missing); Site of Galveston Seminary (about 700 feet away); C. F. Marschner Building (about 700 feet away); Texas Bar Association (about 800 feet away); Scottish Rite Masonry (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Galveston.
Regarding Galveston Historical Foundation.
The building was completed on the eve of the Civil War. It was used only briefly before the outbreak of the war, when it was turned over to the Confederacy. During the conflict it probably took shelling during the battle of Galveston in 1863 and was the site of a "bread riot" initiated by wives of absent Confederate soldiers who stormed the building demanding flour. On June 2, 1865, Union forces took symbolic possession of the site by raising a flag, and the war officially ended there three days later. A new customhouse was built in 1891, and the old structure subsequently housed Federal offices, served as a post office and a Federal Court House. It is in the National Registry of Historical Places.
There are many historical markers near this building, yet this marker, with a newcomer user, was the only marker I could find associated with the building. There's something not right about this.
Also see . . .
1. National Register of Historical Places. This building is listed near the bottom of the page. (Submitted on May 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. United States Customs House and Court House (Galveston, Texas, 1861). Wikipedia (Submitted on May 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. Galveston Custom House. The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on May 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 505 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.