Pawhuska in Osage County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
“The Rich Oil History of the Osage”
On March 16, 1896, the first oil and gas lease was obtained covering all the Osage Reservation, and on October 28, 1897 the first producing well was completed and oil sold May, 1900.
The oil sold from this well was the first sold from an oil well in Oklahoma.
Since this historic beginning, billions of barrels of oil have been sold from wells in the Osage Nation, and Osage County became the state's most prolific oil producing area.
Location. 36° 39.714′ N, 96° 19.867′ W. Marker is in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, in Osage County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Srteet (U.S. 60) and Lynn Avenue, on the left when traveling west on East Main Srteet. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pawhuska OK 74056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Pawhuska (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Pawhuska (here, next to this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); First Boy Scout Troop in America (approx. 0.2 An Answer To Prayer (approx. half a mile away); Restoring the Whiting Apartments (approx. half a mile away); Vernon Whiting (approx. half a mile away); Site of the First Osage Agency Building (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Pawhuska.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.