Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Saint Patrick's Church

 
 
Saint Patrick's Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 1, 2012
1. Saint Patrick's Church Marker
Inscription.
Established 1833
by Bishop Leo De Neckere, C.M.

This church, completed in 1840
during the pastorate of
Father James I. Mullon,
is the oldest parish church
outside the French Quarter.

In 1850
St. Patrick's served
as pro-cathedral
while the St. Louis Cathedral
was undergoing reconstruction.

Here Bishop Antoine Blanc
received the pallium as
first Archbishop of New Orleans
on February 16, 1851.

St. Patrick's is
reguarded as the mother church of
uptown New Orleans.

 
Erected by Archdiocese Bicentennial 200 Commission of New Orleans.
 
Location. 29° 56.798′ N, 90° 4.198′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Camp Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 724 Camp Street, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Patrick's Church (here, next to this marker); St. Patrick's (here, next to this marker); The 747 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Starting Point of the First Traditional New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade
Saint Patrick's Church Marker, lower left image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 1, 2012
2. Saint Patrick's Church Marker, lower left
(about 500 feet away); Lambert-Gallier Inn of Court (about 600 feet away); Lafayette Square (about 700 feet away); Site of the St. Charles Theaters (approx. 0.2 miles away); 8 in. Columbaid Cannon (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in New Orleans.
 
Regarding Saint Patrick's Church. National Register of Historic Places:
St. Patrick's Church *** (added 1974 - - #74000936)
St. Patrick's Church on Camp Street was constructed for the Irish immigrants and other non-Creole Catholics who felt that St. Louis Cathedral catered only to the French and Spanish. The Americans may not have had the pedigree of the Creoles, but they usually had a lot more money.
 
Also see . . .  St. Patricks Church History. It has been declared a National Historic Landmark by the Department of the Interior, setting it apart as a special American edifice of importance. (Submitted on May 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Saint Patrick's Church clock and bell tower image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 1, 2012
3. Saint Patrick's Church clock and bell tower
Saint Patrick's Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 1, 2012
4. Saint Patrick's Church
St. Patrick's Church image. Click for full size.
Historic American Buildings Survey Dan Leyrer, circa September 1963
5. St. Patrick's Church
Habs LA,36-NEWOR,59--1
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement