Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Fe in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Sena Plaza

 
 
Sena Plaza Plaque image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 13, 2012
1. Sena Plaza Plaque
Inscription. When Don Juan Sena bought this land in 1796, Santa Fe belonged to Spain. When Major José D. Sena built this house for his bride Doña Isabel Cabeza de Baca in 1831, Santa Fe belonged to Mexico. In 1846 Santa Fe became part of the United States.
 
Location. 35° 41.24′ N, 105° 56.192′ W. Marker is in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in Santa Fe County. Marker is at the intersection of East Palace Avenue and Cathedral Place, on the right when traveling west on East Palace Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 E Palace Ave, Santa Fe NM 87501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Don Diego de Vargas Zapata Luján Ponce de León, El Marques de la Nava de Barcinas (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Diego Arias de Quiros (within shouting distance of this marker); A Building Stood Here Before 1680 (within shouting distance of this marker); Kateri Tekakwitha (within shouting distance of this marker); Hitching Post at the End of the Trail
Sena Plaza Entrance and Plaque image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 13, 2012
2. Sena Plaza Entrance and Plaque
The plaque is to the left of the turquoise-painted door in the center of this photograph. It takes you to into a leafy courtyard with a fountain and shops, and art galleries on two levels. Upper walkway railing is visible above the door.
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Santa Fe’s First Chapel (about 400 feet away); Fray Angélico Chávez (about 400 feet away); Santa Fe Trail (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Santa Fe.
 
Also see . . .  Sena Plaza. “In 1796, while Santa Fe was still a part of Spain, the successful Merchant Don Juan Sena and his wife, came into possession of the land. In the 1830?s when Santa Fe was part of a newly independent Mexico, Don Juan and his son, Major Jose Sena started building the structure we see today. Eventually he and his wife added thirty three rooms to house the twenty three children, most of whom were born in what had become a US territory when the area was taken from Mexico by the US in 1886. ” (Submitted on May 27, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Sena House Courtyard image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 13, 2012
3. Sena House Courtyard
This view is from the upper level walkway. A ground floor restaurant has outdoor seating under oversize umbrellas.
Cathedral Park and the Cathedral is Directly Across the Street image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 13, 2012
4. Cathedral Park and the Cathedral is Directly Across the Street
This photograph was taken from the 2nd floor railing visible on Photo No. 1.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement