Biddleford in York County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Fort Saco in 1693 / Le Fort Saco en 1693
The Museum in the Streets
The Indians burned the township of Saco in 1688. Fort Saco was built on the future site of the Laconia Mills to protect the settlers in 1693. The fort served as stables during the construction of the Laconia mills in 1841. Yo Cat Gully in the north and the Saco river in the east protected the fort. Further north of the fort was Ram-Cat Hill, the future site of the Pepperell Mills. Opposite the fort on Factory Island, walls built by the French and the Indians laying siege to the fort persisted until 1800. Women dressing in their husband's uniforms foiled at least one attack by pretending the fort was well manned. It was abandoned in about 1708 and Fort Mary at Hills Beach became the principal protection of the town.
Les Indiens brûlèrent le village de Saco en 1688. Pendant la Guerre de Sept Ans et pour la protection des colons, les Anglais érigèrent, en 1693, un fort en pierre au bord de la rivière Saco qui deviendra le futur site de la compagnie Laconia. Le fort était protégé par la rivière Saco et, un peu plus loin, par Ram Cat Hill, le futur site de la filature Pepperell. De l'autre côté de la rivière Saco, les Française et les Indiens bâtirent des murailles dans le but d'asssiéger le village. Le fort fut abandonné en 1708. Le Fort St. Mary à Hills Beach servit ensuite de protection pour le
Erected 2006 by Biddleford Historical Society. (Marker Number 4.)
Location. 43° 29.562′ N, 70° 27.111′ W. Marker is in Biddleford, Maine, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Maine Route 9) and Emery Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is on the wall of the former Laconia Mills building. Marker is in this post office area: Biddeford ME 04005, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Stone Fort (here, next to this marker); Biddeford Maine Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sarah Fairfield Hamilton, 1831-1909 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dr. Laura Black Stickney, 1879-1961 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jacob Cochran, 1782-1836 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Samuel Brannan and the Gold Rush (approx. 0.7 miles away); Spanish War and Philippine Insurrection Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. The Museum in the Streets, Biddleford. (Submitted on May 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Fort Saco, Maine. (Submitted on May 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 124 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.