“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Old City Cemetery

(Old Livingston Cemetery)

Old City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 15, 2005
1. Old City Cemetery Marker
Inscription. This historic graveyard began in 1840 with the burial of four-year-old Josephus Choate, son of Moses Livingston Choate (1794-1867) and Ursula Choate (1807-c. 1880). Early pioneers from Kentucky, the Choates moved to Texas and received a league of land while this area was still a part of Mexico. On his land, Choate established a town he called Springfield.

After Polk County was created in 1846, Moses Choate donated 100 acres of his land near Springfield for the county seat and changed the name of the town to Livingston. A one and one-half block section of land, which included the Choate family cemetery, was set aside for religious and educational purposes. A Masonic lodge (with a schoolroom) and a church were built on that property in the 1850s; after those institutions relocated later in the century, the cemetery expanded over this entire block. By 1906, burials in the Old City Cemetery had almost ceased, and the last interment took place in 1940.

At least 25 Republic of Texas citizens, two Mexican War veterans and 30 Civil War veterans are buried here. A few memorial markers stand to honor persons interred elsewhere. There are 167 visible tombstones and at least 65 unmarked burials, with more than 70 grave sites destroyed over the years. As a reminder of the early heritage of Texas and Polk County, the Old City
Old City Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 15, 2005
2. Old City Cemetery Marker
Cemetery is an important cultural resource for the community.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12558.)
Location. 30° 42.707′ N, 94° 55.829′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of East Polk Street and North Houston Street (Texas Route 146), on the right when traveling east on East Polk Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East Polk Street, Livingston TX 77351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Polk County, C.S.A.. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Polk County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Polk County (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1905 Courthouse Annex (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Old Andress Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Birthplace of Margo Jones (approx. half a mile away); Greenfield Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Livingston.
Also see . . .  List of Many of Those Buried in this Cemetery. (Submitted on May 30, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement