White Deer in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of county's first water well, drilled at N Bar N Ranch, 1887. Also headquarters for White Deer Land Co. (formerly Francklyn Land and Cattle Co., a British syndicate with 630,000 acres of Panhandle land), which in 1902 sold its acreage for small farms and ranches.
Located .5 mile east on railroad in 1906, it became supply town for settlers. Present townsite founded in 1908. Oil boom came in 1920's. Is shipping point for grain and cattle.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5781.)
Location. 35° 26.061′ N, 101° 10.355′ W. Marker is in White Deer, Texas, in Carson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and 3rd Avenue, in the median on South Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at base of White Deer Statue, in middle of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: White Deer TX 79097, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackson General Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hotel at White Deer (about 500 First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana (approx. 1.4 miles away); Terminus of the Santa Fe Railroad (approx. 12.6 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.