near Cross in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Friendship Methodist Church
This church, one of the oldest Methodist organizations in Berkeley County, was formally organized about 1825. Circuit riders had preached in the area for more than forty years, and services held under a brush arbor here inspired participants to form a congregation and build their first church, a pole building.
By 1843 the church built a large frame sanctuary, later remodeled in 1914-16. During Reconstruction its black members left to form their own congregations, among them Jerusalem Methodist Church. The present brick sanctuary, its construction delayed by the Santee Cooper project, was built in 1938 and dedicated in 1939.
Erected 2012 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 8-67.)
Location. 33° 17.964′ N, 80° 10.001′ W. Marker is in near Cross, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Ranger Drive (South Carolina Route 6), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1315 Ranger Drive, Cross SC 29436, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moss Grove (approx. 1.7 miles away); Cross Post Office Barnet's Tavern (approx. 3.4 miles away); Cherokee Path (approx. 3.4 miles away); Gen. William Moultrie (approx. 4.5 miles away); Thomas Sumter's Store (approx. 6.3 miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 7.2 miles away); Pinopolis (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Regarding Friendship Methodist Church. Although printed and casted for 2011, marker erected in 2012
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.