Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City
The Finch-Lord-Nelson firm (which included John A. Finch after 1887) left descendants to continue pioneering. Of their 1887 employees, J.E. Southwood and W.D. Jolly also remained.
This little red barn is a replica symbolic of frontier structures built by Finch-Lord-Nelson for the 1887 claimsmen.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1595.)
Location. 35° 20.782′ N, 101° 22.808′ W. Marker is in Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Elsie Avenue (State Highway 207) and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Carson County Square House Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 Elsie Avenue., Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana (here, next to this marker); Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867 Temple Lea Houston (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Dugout (a few steps from this marker); Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Square House (within shouting distance of this marker); Conway Community Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carson County (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Panhandle.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.