Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana
The Last Great Texas Panhandle Drive was organized here at N Bar N (N-N) Headquarters. Ranch manager was J.L. Harrison; trail boss, T.L. (Tom) Coffee. 100 cowboys drove 10 herds, each with 2500 cattle, or a total of 25,000 beeves, to Montana, April 1 to September 1892. The cattle belonged to Niedringhaus Brothers, German tinsmiths of St. Louis, who put into ranching a fortune made in enamel granite household wares.
From 1882 to 1886, N Bar N leased range in Carson and neighboring counties from the Francklyn Land & Cattle Company, a British syndicate backed by Cunard Steamship Line. Afterward this range belonged to White Deer Land Company. The N Bar N outfit left here because White Deer Land Company wanted the range cleared of large herds. By 1907 the 650,000 acres of its land was offered for sale to small ranchers and farmers. It was fenced and the steam plow introduced to turn the rich, grassy sod.
N-N lease, 1889-1893, was White Deer Lands, Successor to Francklyn Land &
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3043.)
Location. 35° 20.784′ N, 101° 22.804′ W. Marker is in Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Elsie Avenue (Texas Route 207) and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Carson County Square House Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 Elsie Avenue., Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City (here, next to this marker); Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867 (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Dugout (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple Lea Houston (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Square House (within shouting distance of this marker); Conway Community Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carson County (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Panhandle.
Categories. • Agriculture • Animals •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.