Near Brinson in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cyrene / Cyrene Institute
Approximately 1.6 miles north of this location is the village of Cyrene. Founded about 1890 by C. S. Hodges and W. G. Powell, Cyrene was typical of the many mill towns established along the railroad to utilize the vast forests of Southern Pine. Naval stores and lumber were the primary products taken from these forests. At one time, the village had a post office, sawmill, turpentine still, cotton gin, commissaries and about 500 inhabitants. After the loss of the Hodges Sawmill to fire in 1927 and the lean Depression years that followed, the naval stores industry began to decline. Today only a few people live in the town of Cyrene.
This school was founded in 1909 by C. S. Hodges and W. G. Powell, at the Village of Cyrene, to provide preparatory education for boys. Later that year the curricula was expanded to provide co-educational teaching and the facilities were enlarged to accommodate boarding students. At that time the school was deeded to the Bowen Baptist Association. Cyrene Institute offered primary and secondary education with some college preparatory courses. The school facilities included a girls and boys dormitory, dining hall and general administration building. Accommodations were available for approximately
Erected 1986 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Location. 30° 56.527′ N, 84° 40.884′ W. Marker is near Brinson, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is at the intersection of Dothan Road (U.S. 84) and Cyrene Road, on the right when traveling west on Dothan Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brinson GA 39825, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brinson / Simeon Brinson (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bainbridge Army Air Field (approx. 4.7 miles away); General Andrew Jackson Trail (approx. 6.1 miles away); Steamboats (approx. 6.4 miles away); The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History (approx. 6.5 miles away); Fort Scott Memorial (approx. 6.5 miles away); Fort Hughes (approx. 6.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Categories. • Education • Horticulture & Forestry • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 373 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.