Cumming in Forsyth County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The school served all grades until 1955, when high school students transferred to a new facility. In 1961, elementary students departed, and in 1974 the remaining pupils left. The building then served as the school system administrative office until 1999, when it was purchased and later restored by the City of Cumming.
Erected 2006 by Historical Society of Forsyth County.
Location. 34° 12.467′ N, 84° 8.227′ W. Marker is in Cumming, Georgia, in Forsyth County. Marker is on School Street 0 miles west of Pilgrim Mill Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 School Street, Cumming GA 30040, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel William Cumming (approx. 0.2 miles away); Forsyth County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cumming Historic Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Federal Road (approx. 4.9 miles away); Fowler Family Farm Poole's Mill Covered Bridge (approx. 8.3 miles away); Suwanee, Georgia 9/11 Memorial (approx. 11.2 miles away); B. F. Shirley Home (approx. 12.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cumming.
Regarding Cumming School. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000, and restored in 2004. Since then it has been used as the Cumming Playhouse, a local theater.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.