Brinson in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Brinson / Simeon Brinson
1847 ~ 1918
First settled in the 1850ís present day Brinson was originally known as Spring Creek. The name was changed in 1889 when the town was laid out and established by Simeon Brinson. In that same year the Alabama Midland Railroad completed a line through the town. Brinson soon became a shipping point for agricultural products, lumber and metal stores which were the major industries in the area. By an act of the Georgia General Assembly on August 22, 1907, the village was incorporated as “the Town of Brinson.” Brinson began to decline because of the closing of sawmill operations between 1910-20.
Simeon Brinson 1847-1918
The town of Brinson was named in honor of Simeon Brinson, a prominent farmer and businessman. Brinson, a native of Dougherty County, saw action during the War Between the States as a private in Company E, Fifth Georgia Cavalry. After the war he moved to Decatur County. Brinson served as the first postmaster of the Spring Creek Post Office which was established in 1874. He was still postmaster when the name of the post office was changed to Brinson on August 24, 1889. Brinson served as mayor of the town in 1907 and 1913-1914 and two terms (1909-1912) in the Georgia General Assembly. He is interred in the Brinson
Erected 1986 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Decatur County Commission.
Location. 30° 58.183′ N, 84° 43.95′ W. Marker is in Brinson, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is at the intersection of Dothan Road (U.S. 84) and Yates Spring Road (Georgia Route 310), on the right when traveling east on Dothan Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brinson GA 39825, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cyrene / Cyrene Institute (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bainbridge Army Air Field (approx. 7 miles away); Site of U.S. Post Office Reynoldsville, Georgia / Reuben Arthur Reynolds (approx. 7.3 miles away); General Andrew Jackson Trail (approx. 9.7 miles away); Steamboats (approx. 9.9 miles away); Fort Hughes (approx. 10.1 miles away); The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History (approx. 10.1 miles away); Fort Scott Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Brinson, Georgia. A Wikipedia entry for Brinson has detailed information on the town and population. (Submitted on June 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 455 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.