Hereford in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Deaf Smith County
Created August 21, 1876
Organized October 3, 1890
Named in honor of
Erastus “Deaf” Smith
Came to Texas in 1821
Rendered valuable service as a scout and
spy during the Texas Revolution
and was conspicuous for his bravery
in the Battle of San Jacinto
County Seat, La Plata
Frequently called Grenada, 1890-1898
Hereford, since 1899
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 1195.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 34° 49.045′ N, 102° 23.896′ W. Marker is in Hereford, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of Sampson Street and East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north on Sampson Street. Click for map. Marker is on the northeast corner. Marker is in this post office area: Hereford TX 79045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Deaf Smith Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Windmill Prisoner of War Camp Chapel (approx. 2 miles away); P.O.W. Camp Chapel (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named Prisoner of War Camp Chapel (approx. 5.5 miles away); Town of Dawn (approx. 13 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.