El Dorado in Butler County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Kansas Oil Museum
George W. Brown drilled Kansas' first oil well in 1860. Since that time, Kansas oilmen have tested their courage, their fortunes, and their luck in the search for oil in all parts of the state. The Kansas Oil Museum is dedicated to the men and women who built the Kansas oil industry. Their work and their spirit have created a proud heritage for the state.
Erected by Butler County Historical Society.
Location. 37° 49.003′ N, 96° 50.688′ W. Marker is in El Dorado, Kansas, in Butler County. Click for map. Marker is in the fenced outdoor exhibit area of the Butler County History Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 383 East Central Avenue (U.S. 54), El Dorado KS 67042, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cable Tool Drilling Rig (here, next to this marker); Mrs. Addie Cowley Bradley (a few steps from this marker); Steel Oil Derrick / 1930's Cable-Tool Drilling Rig (a few steps from this marker); Tool Rack (a few steps from this marker); Oil Field Lease House (within shouting distance of this marker); Pole Trailer Model K Star Spudder (within shouting distance of this marker); Alfred Washington Ellet (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in El Dorado.
Also see . . . Butler County History Center and Kansas Oil Museum. (Submitted on June 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Environment • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.