“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bovina in Parmer County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


(Elevation: 4070 feet)

Bovina Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
1. Bovina Marker
Inscription. Early in the 20th century, this was one of largest cattle shipping points in the United States.

Originated as the Hay Hook Line Camp of the XIT — famed ranch that received over 3,000,000 acres of land in payment for building Texas State Capitol, 1882-1888. One of the earliest structures in Parmer County, division number eight headquarters of XIT, stood 400 yards northeast of site of this marker. The shipping pasture, 640 acres in area, was 1 mile east. The Pecos & Northern Texas Railroad built to this point in 1898, and cattle for eastern markets were loaded here. Train crews called the place “Bull Town”, but the community chose the name “Bovina” when establishing the post office in 1899.

This was the first post office in Parmer County, created 1876, named for Martin Parmer (1778-1850), patriot and signer of Texas Declaration of Independence. Although known to explorers early as 18th century, county had few inhabitants before 1907, when it was organized, with Bovina one of its leading towns.

By 1915, Bovina had 200 people, 2 churches, a bank, a school, and a hotel for prospective settlers.

It is now market and supply center for rich area of irrigated farms, and still produces fine cattle.
Erected 1968 by State Historical
Bovina Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
2. Bovina Marker
Survey Committee. (Marker Number 471.)
Location. 34° 31.367′ N, 102° 53.361′ W. Marker is in Bovina, Texas, in Parmer County. Marker is on Gardner Avenue (U.S. 60) 0.1 miles east of North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bovina TX 79009, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bovina United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bovina Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Parmerton (approx. 6.4 miles away); Site of First Church in City of Friona (approx. 12.4 miles away); Friona Schools (approx. 12.5 miles away); Friona (approx. 12.6 miles away); Friona Women's Clubs (approx. 12.8 miles away); Parmer County (approx. 12.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bovina.
Categories. AgricultureAnimalsRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 512 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement