Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
El Dorado in Butler County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Oil Field Boom Towns

 
 
Oil Field Boom Towns Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 3, 2011
1. Oil Field Boom Towns Marker
Inscription.
Oil field towns such as Oil Hill and Midian were built and maintained by oil companies such as Cities Service. These towns were fast growing and held an excitment in the early years when people moved in at all hours of the day and night. Life here was much like any other town except there were drilling rigs everywhere you looked, and those who lived here worked for the same company. This created and [sic] close knit community because everyone had the same boss.

Business included: Oil Company Offices & Garages, Pipe & Lumber Yards, Machine & Blacksmith Shops, Cafes, Grocery & General Stores, Barber Shops, Doctor & Post Offices, Gas & Fire Stations, Boarding Houses, Welfare Hall (mainly used for entertainment), Model Homes, Butcher Shops & Bakeries.

By the 1940's oil production dropped, and fewer men were needed in the field. By the 1950's most buildings had either been torn down or moved away. The former residents moved into El Dorado or found jobs in other areas. When the oil boom was over, not much of these oil field communities remained. Today only abandoned flower beds and concrete sidewalks are left to tell the story.

This living history area represents those forgotten communities. The recreated street uses authentic historic buildings from the early oil boom days to preserve this unique past. The project
Oil Field Boom Towns Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 3, 2011
2. Oil Field Boom Towns Marker
Back of marker at right of photo
was made possible by the K.T. Wiedermann Foundation, Inc. and private donors.
 
Erected by Kansas Oil Museum.
 
Location. 37° 48.971′ N, 96° 50.669′ W. Marker is in El Dorado, Kansas, in Butler County. Click for map. Marker is in the fenced outdoor Kansas Oil Museum exhibit area of the Butler County History Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 383 East Central Avenue (U.S. 54), El Dorado KS 67042, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Tank Car (a few steps from this marker); Flare (within shouting distance of this marker); Grandma Anderson's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Addie Cowley Bradley (within shouting distance of this marker); Cable Tool Drilling Rig (within shouting distance of this marker); Kansas Oil Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Steel Oil Derrick / 1930's Cable-Tool Drilling Rig (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alfred Washington Ellet (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in El Dorado.
 
Also see . . .  Butler County History Center and Kansas Oil Museum. (Submitted on June 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement