Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trinity Center in Trinity County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Trinity Centre Then – Trinity Center Now.

 
 
Trinity Center Then – Trinity Center Now. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 3, 2012
1. Trinity Center Then – Trinity Center Now. Marker
Inscription. Hudson Bay Co. trappers worked the Trinity Valley as early as 1826. A tenuous peace existed between the trappers and the Wintu Indians. Miners invaded the valley in 1850. In 1851, Moses Chadbourne built a trading post, by the same name, on his ranch close to the Trinity River. By 1853, the settlement was moved back from the river due to flooding and quickly became the supply center on the Calif.-Ore. Trail. Stage roads were completed from Shasta to Yreka by 1860. Mining and logging were the main industries for more than a century. The 1,000 acre Bloss-McClary hydraulic mine, and the shaft mines, Bonanza King, Headligh and Five Pines were but a few. Bucket line dredges began as early as 1912, with the Alta Bert dredge. The huge Estabrook dredge worked the Trinity Center area. All the dredges were electric, supplied by the Calif.-Ore. Power Co., also bringing electricity to the town by 1916. With the advent of Trinity Dam and Lake, Ed Scott developed and sold at cost, 73 lots in the new town. By the end of 1959, most of the homes and buildings in old Trinity Center had been moved to the new location. In 1959, the largest employer, R & G Lumber Co. closed both sawmills. The end of an era came to Trinity Valley. The great ranches including the Trinity Farm and Cattle Co. and so many of the historic sites on the river were covered by the waters
Trinity Center Then – Trinity Center Now. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 3, 2012
2. Trinity Center Then – Trinity Center Now. Marker
of Trinity Lake.
 
Erected 2009 by E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter No. 62.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 40° 59.093′ N, 122° 42.427′ W. Marker is in Trinity Center, California, in Trinity County. Marker is at the intersection of Airport Road and Trinity Lake Boulevard (California Route 3), on the left when traveling east on Airport Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trinity Center CA 96091, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “Jim Swett Field” (approx. 0.6 miles away); Turning Water into Gold (approx. 2.5 miles away); Bucket Line Dredges (approx. 4.7 miles away); Carrville (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Bowerman Barn (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Places
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 259 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement