“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Hutchings House

Hutchings House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, June 9, 2012
1. Hutchings House Marker
Inscription. John Henry Hutchings was born in North Carolina in 1822. After living in New Orleans for several years, he moved to Galveston in 1845. Two years later he entered into a partnership with John Sealy to sell dry goods in Sabine Pass. They returned to Galveston in 1854 and set up shop with George Ball, selling dry goods and trading commissions; by 1856, the firm of Ball, Hutchings and Co. dealt exclusively in banking and commissions.

Hutchings married Minnie Knox in 1856. Her uncle, Robert Mills, gave the couple five acres on Avenue O as a wedding gift, and they built one of early Galveston's rare brick houses. The bricks were fired on Mills' plantation in Brazoria. The house included a half-story schoolroom and teacher's quarters.

During the Civil War, Ball, Hutchings & Co. established a shipping base in Matamoros, Mexico, to export cotton. John Henry Hutchings served as a commissioner of the Confederate States Court. The family left Galveston when it was evacuated but returned after the war's end.

The house was damaged in an 1885 storm; renovations made by Nicholas Clayton over the next few years included the addition of a third level and the application of stucco to the exterior walls. Clayton designed and built the carriage house and completed other renovations by 1889.

Raised after the 1900
Hutchings House image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, June 9, 2012
2. Hutchings House
storm, the house remained in the Hutchings family until 1926, when it was purchased by John Henry and Agnes Langben. The Langben heirs sold it to Sealy Hutchings, Jr., the grandson of John Henry and Minnie Hutchings, in 1946. He and his wife, Lucille, lived in the house the rest of their lives.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1962

Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14875.)
Location. 29° 17.538′ N, 94° 47.778′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue O and 29th Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue O. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2816 Avenue O, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Hutchings House (within shouting distance of this marker); Galveston Garten Verein (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The Cradle" (about 400 feet away); Galveston Artillery Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ursuline Convent in the Civil War (approx. mile away); Site of Ursuline Convent and Academy
Hutchings House Carriage and Guest House image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, June 9, 2012
3. Hutchings House Carriage and Guest House
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Jack Johnson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of the Home of Michel Branamour Menard (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Galveston.
Regarding Hutchings House. There are two markers for this house. Both were ostensibly erected in 1962, but that seems unlikely since this one looks brand new.
Categories. Notable Buildings
Hutchings House Gazebo image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, June 9, 2012
4. Hutchings House Gazebo
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement