Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cartersville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Etowah

 
 
Etowah Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 12, 2012
1. Etowah Marker
Inscription. Four miles east, in the gorge of the Etowah River, are the picturesque ruins of the once flourishing town of Etowah, developed by Mark Cooper around his iron furnace and rolling mill. The furnace was built in 1844, following one built in 1837 on Stamp Creek. Later five others operated nearby.

In 1864, Etowah reached its peak with 2,000 inhabitants, iron furnace, foundry, and rolling mill, flour mill, corn mills and saw mills, and was destroyed for its munitions importance by Sherman’s Army.
 
Erected 2012 by J. B. Tate, Buster Garland, Jim Dellinger, Bill Davey, Frank Perkins, and the Cartersville Public Works Department.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 34° 9.007′ N, 84° 46.428′ W. Marker is near Cartersville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 293 and Old River Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 293. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Friendship Cemetery (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Fort
Etowah Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 12, 2012
2. Etowah Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); Amos T. Akerman (approx. 1.3 miles away); Friendship Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); Tribute on Monument / 38 Names on Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); Private First Class Jerry Wayne Gentry (approx. 1.6 miles away); God Bless America (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Bartow County Courthouse (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cartersville.
 
More about this marker. The marker was originally erected by the Works Progress Administration in the late 1930s or 1940, north of its present location on US Highway 41 at an old overlook. It was numbered 41 D-7. The marker was removed from that location several years ago and ended up in storage at a state historic site.


The marker was recently discovered by members of the Etowah Valley Historical Society, restored, and erected in its new location on June 1, 2012. During the restoration the top part of the marker, which contained the Georgia State Seal and the numbers, was removed.

A newspaper story of Etowah, the marker, and its restoration is here:

http://www.daily-tribune.com/view/full_story/18934364/article-Restored-marker-highlights-town-of-Etowah?instance=latest_articles
Etowah Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 12, 2012
3. Etowah Marker
Looking south on Georgia Highway 293, the former US Highway 41.

 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Etowah Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 12, 2012
4. Etowah Marker
Old River Road is in the background
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement