Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Washington's Survey Marker

 
 
Washington's Survey Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 7, 2012
1. Washington's Survey Marker
This is the monument described on the missing historical marker. The inscription is no longer completely legible.
Inscription. Although it is no longer legible, this monument marks the northernmost point of an approximately 1200-acre tract of land that George Washington purchased in 1775 prior to the American Revolution. Washington used an oak tree that stood on this site as a corner marker when he surveyed his property in 1785 after the war. Four Mile Run was the eastern boundary of the property. Washington owned the land at the time of his death in 1799 and afterwards it became known as “Washington’s Forest.” A section of the trunk of the oak tree that Washington used as a survey marker is on display in Glencarlyn Library.
 
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 51.73′ N, 77° 7.03′ W. Marker was in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Click for map. The marker was located in Glencarlyn Park near the confluence of Long Branch and Four Mile Run. Marker was in this post office area: Arlington VA 22204, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Carlin Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Barcroft Community House (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Ball House (approx.
Washington's Survey Marker Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 14, 2016
2. Washington's Survey Marker Marker
A view of the monument, looking west.
0.4 miles away); The Ball-Carlin Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Carlin Community Hall (approx. half a mile away); Glencarlyn Station (approx. half a mile away); Barcroft (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Arlington Mill (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
 
Also see . . .
1. WalkArlington Walkabouts: George Washington's Forest. This is a hike to sites in Arlington connected with the property owned by George Washington, and includes a video of a tour led by "George Washington" (Submitted on June 16, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.) 

2. Walk through Washington's Forest tour on Arlington Historical Society website. (Submitted on June 17, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.)
 
Additional comments.
1.
Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted July 9, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.

 
Categories. Colonial EraMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Washington's Survey Marker Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 14, 2016
3. Washington's Survey Marker Marker
The monument can be difficult to find with the marker missing. The monument is behind the rock wall at the end of this sidewalk from the parking area near the confluence of the two creeks.
Washington's Survey Marker Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, March 14, 2016
4. Washington's Survey Marker Marker
Although the monument's text is largely illegible, most of the rightmost text can be read. It appears to be very similar to the text found on the small marker attached to the portion of the tree trunk found at the Glencarlyn Library, including such words as: oak tree, made, which, survey, deeds, approved by N.S.D.A.R.
Trunk of Washington's Survey tree in Glencarlyn Library image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 7, 2012
5. Trunk of Washington's Survey tree in Glencarlyn Library
Close up of trunk showing inscription image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 7, 2012
6. Close up of trunk showing inscription
The text reads: A section of the white oak tree which bore a survey mark, made by George Washington. It became a monumental survey mark much used. Was located on the point at junction of Four Mile Run and Long Branch. The tradition continues by owners of this property, since deeded by Lord Fairfax, 1742. Preserved and marked by order of Glencarlyn Co-operative Association and authorized by N.S.D.A.R.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 732 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.   2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   5, 6. submitted on , by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement