Eastport in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Eastport's Oldest House
Jonas and Louisa Williams and their eight children moved here in 1876. They used the first floor as a grocery store, selling homemade sauerkraut to neighbors. After she was widowed, Louisa offered her front parlor as a school and a polling place. The hosue stayed in the family until 1972.
For all of its years, the Williams House has been a landmark. Today, it is a bed and breakfast inn and still retains much of its original charm and architectural character.
Text with map: The Williams House is shown in green on this 1908 Sanborn Map. Note the pink rowhouses of Murphy's Row on Port Lane nearby.
Erected by Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network, Annapolis Maritime Museum, Four Rivers Garden Club.
Location. 38° 58.42′ N, 76° 28.748′ W. Marker is in Eastport, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Severn Avenue and First Street, on the right when traveling east on Severn Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in the front yard of the home. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Murphy's Row (within shouting distance of this marker); The Glass Works (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Start of Something Big (about 600 feet away); The Fort at Horn Point (about 700 feet away); Three Great Boat Yards, One Location (about 700 feet away); Eastport's Old "Main Street" (approx. ¼ mile away); Visionaries of the 1960s (approx. ¼ mile away); A Tale of Three Bridges (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Eastport.
Categories. • 20th Century • Education • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,146 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.